Happy Thanksgiving! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday filled with family, friends, and food!
Every Thanksgiving, I think about how much I have to be grateful for-and this year I think there’s even more than normal! Seeing the destruction caused by the fires in California, I’m so grateful that our studio and studio family is safe this holiday. I try not to take for granted how lucky we are to have a wonderful space to dance and gather. The generosity of our families is overwhelming, and I’m so grateful to everyone to donating to Northern California Ballet (we’ll still be collecting donations after Thanksgiving). I love our community and it’s willingness to help others.
I’m also so grateful for everyone’s cards, congratulations, and love this past month! Our wedding was a dream come true, and our studio family was so amazing in helping us celebrate! I’m so excited to celebrate our first holiday season as a married couple and all of you have made married life so special thus far!
There’s also no way to express how grateful I am to Brittany, Mariah, Marisa, Melanie, Jen and Robin for everything they do for ABDC. From choreography, to picking costumes, editing music, planning classes, etc etc-there is SO much that goes on behind the scenes. They are absolute rock stars, and I am so grateful for them (and I know our students are too).
What are you grateful for this year? ❤
Now that wedding/honeymoon madness is over, I’m starting to get back into my usual routine. I’ve found that something that really makes a difference is taking some time to meal prep-as dancers we need to fuel our bodies for peak performance, but we are always on the go! It can make it really hard to eat properly, and if I haven’t planned ahead I wind up eating chips for lunch and dinner 🙂 I’m going to share with you a few tips that help me meal prep, and some of my favorite blogs and recipes!
- Meal prep foods that you actually LIKE to eat. This seems obvious, but in the past I’ve made recipes that I know I won’t like just because it seems healthy. But then I don’t eat them, the food gets wasted, and it’s back to chips for dinner! Now I have a bunch of recipes I know I’ll be excited to eat, so I stick with those.
- Plan ahead! When I’m meal prepping, I’ll try to make my grocery list on Thursday, go food shopping on Friday, and then prep my meals on Sunday. Once you get into the groove, it doesn’t take too long!
- Get all your ingredients out before you start. Maybe this is just me, but I tend to skim recipes, which often leads to me leaving out ingredients. If I set everything out on the counter before I start, I’ve found I’m less likely to leave things out!
- The crockpot is my best friend! Dance classes from 4-9 means I’m eating dinner when I get home, and trust me, I’m not going to spend time cooking. If something is ready in the crockpot for me when I get home, I’m a happy girl. We just got an Instapot too, so I’m excited to try that out.
- Quick, healthy snacks are also a must! I don’t plan out my snacks per se, but I try to have things on hand that are easy to grab and are healthy-bananas, rice cakes, string cheese, and pretzels are a few of my favorites.
Here are a few of my favorite things!
These are Ahhhh-mazing for putting together freezer meals that will go in the crockpot. I’m obsessed. https://www.amazon.com/Baggy-Rack-Sandwich-Storage-Solutions/dp/B0049NQEKO/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1542035393&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=ziploc+bag+holder+stand&psc=1&smid=A35F40ABDRFXKY
I love these overnight oats recipes. They make life so easy on busy mornings. My favorite is the banana chocolate chip. https://wholefully.com/8-classic-overnight-oats-recipes-you-should-try/
This blog is one of my favs for meal prep recipes! https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/
I LOVE chickpeas! Roasted chickpeas are my new favorite snack. Check out these recipes at https://www.thisgrandmaisfun.com/roasted-chickpeas-recipe/ . My favorite is sesame!
Have any favorite recipes or tips for meal prep? I’d love to hear them! I’m always looking for new recipes (especially for the crockpot-did I mention I love my crockpot?)!